Kumm Curry


If I could, I would transport the taste and the smells that I am experiencing right now as I write this post. Or if only I could be transported to my mom's kitchen sitting on the counter watching her cook and share stories and gossip, I'd be a little bit, a tiny bit happier. Parents and home do that to you. Instead, I am going to recreate that atmosphere here on this post writing this recipe of this coconut kumm curry that mom made for me. I clicked a few pictures here and there with my phone trying not to interrupt her process too much, hence the weird angles. Not that I am a great photographer anyway. So here goes, the recipe for a lovely kumm curry.

Equipment Needed
  • A medium-sized deep bottomed wok

Ingredients
  • Wild or button mushrooms - 1/2 kg [these shrink so don't balk at the quantity]
  • Green chillies : 4-5 (less or more depending on spice levels)
  • Coriander seeds : 1 teaspoon
  • Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon 
  • Garlic, peeled: 5-6 medium cloves
  • Turmeric powder :  1/2 teaspoon
  • Peppercorns : 8-10
  • Onion : 2, sliced
  • Red Chilly powder : 1/2 teaspoon
  • Lime Juice : 1/2 tablespoon
  • Salt to taste
  • Vegetable Oil : 2 tablespoons
For the Seasoning 
  • Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
  • Curry leaves : 10-15
Ground Coconut Paste
  • Coconut : 1 cup coconut, grated 
  • Cumin : 1/2 teaspoon, lightly roasted and powdered
Method
  • Wash and clean the mushooms and slice them as shown below. My mom also chops up the stems- those are the round pieces you see in the wok below
  • In a grinder-mixer, add in the coconut and cumin powder with a little bit of water and grind to a fine paste.
  • Heat oil in a wok, add in mustard seeds and let them crackle, add in the curry leaves and let them fry. 
  • Add in sliced onions, fry until brown and then add in the mushrooms.
  • Now add in all the powders : cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chilly, salt and saute.
  • After 2-3 minutes, add a cup of hot water and let the gravy come together and simmer for about 5-6 minutes. 
  • Finally add the ground coconut-cumin paste and watch the gravy thicken, keep stirring on low heat.
  • After 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the gravy, remove from stove and stir in the lime juice.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madh Payasa

Bamboo Shoot (Baimballe) Curry

Wild Wild Western Ghats